Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Hae Bee Hiam Cookies


If there's anything I'll miss eating when I'm overseas, it'll be the homemade hae bee hiam. It's such a versatile condiment. It taste great on its own over a piping hot bowl of rice, stirfried brinjals and kangkong will be lifeless without it and my favourite way of eating it: lightly butter a slice of plain bread, spread a thin layer of hae bee hiam and toast it for a minute.....yummylicious!!
Last wednesday night, while I was watching the locally made sitcom sayang sayang an idea came to me: why don't I make my own hae bee hiam cookies. I do like Home Favourite's version but for someone who grew up eating chilli padi, I like mine with a little more fiery kick.
After some experimentation, I finally managed to come out with a cookie that's light, crisp, great hae bee flavour and spicy. The addition of some toasted sesame seeds gave the cookies a good nutty flavour.
I've finally found my favourite cookie!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sound very, very interesting!! I really wonder how it taste like :)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi

would you mind to share your hae bee hiam cookies recipe? i tried the home fave's cookies and like their HBH cookies too. just like you, i am a "chilli padi" and would like mine to be more spicy. would like to try making these before CNY! thanks!

6:17 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

Hi Charlene, I'm sorry I can't share this recipe as I'm selling these cookies. There's a dried shrimp cookies recipe in a book titled "cookie bible" sold in popular bookstore. Just substitute the dried shrimp used with the dry hae bee hiam and adjust the quantity to your taste. Let me know if you want that recipe.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home